Keep the kids happy with this easy-to-make sausage roll from Jonny Marsh. Perfect for the lunch box or a quick dinner. You can even switch it up with veggie mince for a tasty, healthier alternative.
- Pork mince 500g (or 500g veggie mince)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp Dry mixed herbs
- 1tbsp garlic purée
- 1 egg – for egg washing pastry
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 1tbsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- Fry the chopped onion on a low-medium heat until soft (8-10 mins)
- Take the onions off the heat
- In a bowl, mix the pork mince, mixed herbs, garlic purée, fried onions together
- Once the ingredients are combined, empty on to a piece of cling film (large until to cover)
Watch the video for inspiration on the next steps, as this is a trick you’ll want to learn!
- Wrap the ingredients in cling film tightly
- Using your index finger and thumb to take a line of cling film
- As you let the cylinder dangle and use gravity and the weight and sway of the pork to naturally tighten the cling film
- Place the compact sausage mix on a puff pastry and roll slowly to cover. Remember to pinch the sides at each end to unsure the mix is kept tightly wrapped
- At this point, you and the children have a chance to freestyle – using a little office knife, create a little pattern in the leftover puff pastry and place on top.
- Leave to set in the fridge for an hour
- To finish, beat the egg in a separate bowl and brush the sausage roll with egg wash
- Place the sausage roll in an oven at 180° until golden brown (20-25 mins)
Serve with some salad and something tangy and you’ve got an absolutely delicious packed lunch, or a quick dinner for the whole family. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to follow Jonny on Instagram!