Here at Everyone Active, we have several Lawn Tennis Association (LTA)-approved tennis activities that are ideal for everyone to enjoy. Alongside booking a court with friends or family and turning up to enjoy a game, there’s loads of other ways to enjoy tennis with us.
For example, LTA Youth Go, is a tennis session designed specifically to help get kids into tennis, we also offer tennis courses, which take your child all the way from just starting out to more advanced levels, depending on age and ability. For those who want to enjoy the game at their own pace, walking tennis is ideal, giving you all the fun of the full game, but at a slightly slower pace.
Some of our tennis centres also offer Tennis Xpress, a quick and easy way for adults to get to grips with the basics of tennis and Cardio Tennis. which is more like a group exercise class that uses tennis to help get you fit!
LTA Youth Go
LTA Youth Go has been specifically designed to help more children and young people from across the country pick up a racket and fall in love with tennis – regardless of background or ability.
It’s a community-based tennis programme that introduces the sport to children; helping them enjoy getting active with their friends, as well as learning new skills. These sessions don’t need to be held on tennis courts, so they can take place anywhere, making the game even more accessible
Working in partnership with the LTA, Everyone Active delivers the LTA Youth Programme. The Programme consists of five stages each of which is associated with both a skill level and an age bracket. This course will take your children from learning the basic skills to playing on a full-sized court.
Everyone Active tennis lessons are tracked and recorded using Sports Passport. Each member is able to view their journey and plot how they are progressing throughout their course or lesson. Each week the members progress will be updated by the coach ready for you to view on your profile. As your child progresses, they will be rewarded with new games, levels and challenges on their profile.
Each stage of our tennis courses is aimed at a different age and ability level.
- Blue Stage (Age 4-6) – This session teaches children how to enjoy the game through a series of fun activities with the aim of improving their balance, co-ordination, agility, movement and racket and ball skills.
- Red Stage (Age 6-8) – Players will learn to serve, rally and score with a slower red ball, as well as learning the movement and co-ordination skills needed for tennis.
- Orange Stage (Age 8-9) – Players develop a rounded game learning a range of techniques and tactics. Courts are bigger and wider than the red stage but still smaller than full-size tennis courts. There are team and individual competitions with matches using tie-break scoring.
- Green Stage (Age 9-10) – This is for children who are ready to test their skills on a full-sized court. The sessions use green balls which are slightly lower pressured balls. We aim to help children into the sport making it easier for them to develop their skills.
- Yellow Stage (Age 10+) – Test your skills further – As the Yellow stage, children are now playing on a full-size court with the balls the professionals use. Children will continue to explore different game styles and start to find their own. They will evolve through well rounded motor skills development whilst improving their physical capacities.
Walking Tennis is just like standard tennis, just without the running – or jumping! It’s perfect for everyone who wants to enjoy a game, but at their own pace. This includes people who:
- Are just starting out and want to build up their confidence.
- Are returning from an injury.
- Just need a bit more time getting to the ball.
How do I play?
Walking Tennis has been designed to be accessible for all. It’s still tennis – but with a few tweaks:
- You can let the ball bounce twice.
- You can play on a smaller court and use modified equipment.
- You can’t run or jump.
This is ideal for beginners or those who are out of practice. Tennis Xpress is a coached six-week course for adults that will help you get to grips with the basics of tennis.
Whether you’re new to the sport or just a little bit rusty, each weekly session will help build your skills and confidence until you’re playing like a pro!
Taught by LTA Accredited coaches, Tennis Xpress will teach you to serve, rally and score, allowing you to play this fantastic game on a regular basis. These sessions make use of modified equipment, including slower bouncing balls to make the game more accessible to players of all abilities.
Rather than being a game of tennis, Cardio Tennis is more like a group exercise class that uses tennis-based movements to help you improve your cardiovascular fitness – and having a great time into the bargain!
The class features great music, fantastic people and you’ll hit loads of tennis balls, which means your tennis skills will improve too!
Tennis is a fantastic whole-body workout. As well as targeting the obvious areas like your arms and legs, it’s also fantastic for core stability, your glutes, your back and just about everywhere!
What does Cardio Tennis Class Look Like?
Each class lasts an hour, with 10 minutes of warm-up and cool-down at the beginning and end respectively.
- Warm up – This features dynamic stretching, skills and drills to help get your mind and body prepared for the workout!
- Aerobics – Here you’ll hit loads of shots – forehand, backhand and serves, all mixed with a variety of fitness activities.
- Tennis – Enjoy some fun tennis games with your teammates – you’ll never play one-on-one, this is all about the workout, not winning!
- Cool down – An important opportunity to cool down and let your body begin to recover.
It is worth noting, however, that unfortunately these fantastic activities are not yet available at all our centres. Therefore, it may be worth checking with your site – as well as other local centres – before attempting to book your slot!