Nutrition is key to getting a little fitter or losing a little weight. As breakfast is the cornerstone meal of the day it’s important to collect breakfast ideas to help with working out. A good breakfast will help you reach your goal.
Here’s five breakfast ideas to start the new year off with:
- Cereal. You have to box clever when it comes to cereals. Avoid anything with the words ‘choco’ or ‘frost’ in them. They may taste good but the high sugar levels are a disaster for your metabolism and will only provide a fast energy surge while promoting fat storage. Even many boxed cereals which claim to be healthy due to their whole wheat content are high in sugar so they may keep you satisfied for slightly longer but are still not as healthy as they promise.
- Go natural. Natural sources such as oatmeal and porridge oats are the best cereal you can find. But if you need a boxed cereal in your life, include whole wheat products now and again.
- Bread. The world would be a healthier place without white flour breads. Instead go for whole wheat options such as wholemeal or granary with complex carbohydrates in them.
- Start on an egg. Eggs and beans are a protein-high compliment to your toast but jam, honey and marmalade, although high in sugars, are fine in small amounts.
- Avoid the fry up. It can be hard to resist fried bacon and sausages first thing, but they are going to do you no favours. The high fat levels will inhibit nutrient and energy absorption. Notch up an early one of your five a day with some fresh fruit, maybe with some low-fat yoghurt.
How many calories am I burning when I go for a swim?
Swim England have a helpful calorie burn calculator to help you to understand how many calories you are burning during your trips to the pool. Mix up your strokes and compare against cycling, running and walking too.