This is one of my favourite pesto recipes and it’s so easy to make. If you want to go plant based, just leave out the cheese!
I often make a big batch of this pesto and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days. The pesto is delicious spread on toast with a poached egg or using any leftovers with the pasta make a great lunch or picnic dish.
Pea Pesto Ingredients
- 400g frozen peas
- 400g pasta
- 1 small broccoli cut into florets
For the Pesto:
- 60g Parmesan
- 60g almonds
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest 1 lemon (save the juice to serve)
- 1 clove garlic
- Small bunch fresh mint leaves
- Put the peas into a large pan of simmering water, cook for three minutes. Drain and allow to cool for five minutes in the colander.
- Put all the pesto ingredients along with the cooked and cooled peas into a food processor with a pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz until smooth.
- Taste the pesto, adjust the seasoning and flavour to taste. Then transfer to a serving bowl.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions in a large pan of boiling salted water, add the broccoli for the last three minutes.
- Add a large spoon full of the pasta water to the pesto, mix together. Add more for a looser pesto.
- Drain the pasta and broccoli then return to the pan. Stir in the pesto, remaining peas and a squeeze of lemon.
- Divide between serving dishes and top with more parmesan.
Keep coming back each week for more fantastic new recipes from Chris. You can also follow Chris on Instagram.