As exercise routines have changed of late, many of us have started new body weight home workout plans. But is body weight training really a good alternative to hitting the gym and using machines and weights? In short, YES!
- Using your own body weight is a great way to stay fit and healthy. Bodyweight training is incredibly flexible for beginners through to elite athletes. Simple body weight squats can be progressed to high level explosive jumping squats or even into single leg squats.
- As you don’t have machines and weights holding you in position your balance and core has to work harder in each movement
- It improves flexibility and range of movement as you are able to move more freely
- Body weight training can be used for cardio and strength training goals. Cardio exercise mixed with strength exercises is a great way to get the heart rate up and get a good short and effective workout in 20-30 minutes
- There is never an excuse not to work out! You don’t need kit or to go to the gym just roll off the sofa and hit your first press up!
Best body weight exercises to try
Great for upper body strength and core.
Fantastic cardio and brilliant for building strength and stability in the hip and legs.
Get Down & Get Up
Awesome cardio whilst challenging the upper body.
Back Stepping Lunges
A top leg exercise whilst challenging single leg stability.
Excellent full body cardio and strength exercise.